Saturday, August 20, 2011

Bon jour...

Kitty-Mania erupts in my bed every morning between 4:30-4:45.  They're silent as ninjas, I'll give them that, but they feel like flailing Sumo wrestlers on top of me. Who can sleep with that going on?? The Man, that's who. Totally oblivious. Lucky bastard.  Anyway, this nonsense is almost always started by the aforementioned bratty-cat supreme, Zumi.  He gets up from his place at my side, where he cuddles peacefully all night, stands on top of my legs, and proceeds to gently smacking on little Nom-Nom. I think it's his I'm-The-King moment. He lets her sleep in his (our) bed all night, as long as she stays out of His Zone, until that time that he must wake her with kitty domestic violence. And then they slap and kick and roll and body slam each other quite gloriously until I intervene.  It's kind of annoying, but also really funny and cute, so it's hard to be mad at them. When they wrestle any other time there is much caterwauling and usually some drama, but not at The Awakening. They're Sumo Ninjas. Sumo Ninja Ingrates.

My favorite early morning smells:  #1. Really good coffee brewing. Current house choice is Cafe Du Monde's Coffee and Chicory from, of course, Cafe Du Monde in New Orleans. Maybe I can't bodily go there right now, but my mind spends a good bit of its time there. (My mind is always going somewhere!)  #2. Turbinado sugar.  I love sugar, and Turbinado raw sugar is the richest, made by only partially refining the sugar cane. Imperial Sugar has the best one I've tried. It's dense and oh-so-slightly moist still, and the fragrance is dark and thick and rich and a bit reminiscent of molasses, but without the harshness. If you're discerning enough to not drink peasant-coffee, you'll love what Turbinado does to your brew.

There has to be a better way of dealing with all this hair than having to spend so much time blow-drying in the morning. I have other things I'd rather be doing, thank you. I love my hair. But I don't want to have to 'do' it.

I dislike having to work on Saturday mornings. Dislike is too mild. Yes, I'm grateful to have a job (don't get me started on the lack of available jobs), but I really hate going to work on Saturday morning. If I had a telecommuting job I wouldn't mind (and oh, how I wish I did!). So there's my bit of negativity for the morning.  Well, that and the hair.

So, to not end the morning's thoughts on negativity (which is bad juju for the day): Let's go out into the world today and not be mean to each other. Mean sucks.  Being snarky is okay, but don't be mean.

Off I go...

2 comments:

  1. 1. I did not know what Turbinado was before reading this, and now I am pretty certain that I need it desperately.

    2. I relate on the hair thing. Lately I've been drying it almost completely, mostly around the front, and then twisting it up in a loose bun until it dries the rest of the way. I'm telling myself that it works. More likely I look like a hot mess and am kidding myself.

    3. I adore your blog already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind comment, Angie. And my first comment!

    Every good person needs to experience Turbinado (and maybe it would help the not-so-good persons). So if I've turned even one person on to something good, then my time here is justified. :)

    I may revisit the bun. hmmm...

    ReplyDelete