Saturday, August 20, 2011

...Fais do-do

Oh, I had a doozy of a song stuck in my head today! "Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road".  You can guess what I encountered on the drive to work that got this started. So, being the sharing person that I am, I put it on Facebook as soon as I got to work. I was a bit disappointed that only one person got the reference (and the desired effect of the endlessly looping ditty), but it was a looong time ago. 1972-73, as a matter of fact. Written and recorded by Mr. Loudon Wainwright III - songwriter, folk-singer, humorist, and actor. Now don't go thinking I just knew this. Curiosity got the best of me after several hours of the chorus in my head, which was the only part of the song I could remember, so I had to look it up this evening. I began wondering if there was any more to the song than that, as it seems a pretty silly topic. But, no. It was just a novelty song about the smell of dead skunk. And as weird as that may be, it also made me smile with recollection.  I remember the song playing on the radio, and I can remember singing it and laughing with my mother. And then any time we'd smell a skunk while driving, we would start singing. Pure silliness, from the long-dormant memory of a 5 year old.  So thank you, Mr. Dead Skunk. Your stink made me smile.

We saw the 'Glee' 3D Concert Movie today. Yes, I'm a Gleek. Even more so now than I was before the movie. It was Fantastic!! Not just because it is the Glee characters and songs that we love, but because of the stories related between the songs that show how the characters have influenced the lives of a handful of teens. It was truly inspirational, in my opinion. Or maybe I'm just a big ol' sap.  But the beauty of Glee is that it's not about celebrating the A-list teens. It's about embracing who you are, popular or not, and celebrating yourself.  And with the show's rise in popularity, this way of thinking has really affected the lives of real people. Kids (and let's be real, adults too) have identified with the characters, overcome challenges and fears, and have gained confidence and joy in their lives. And the movie shows this. I think that's a beautiful thing.  It's a shame the movie hasn't been more successful. I think many people didn't really know what it had to offer.  I certainly didn't know it would be the uplifting fun that it was.  Or maybe some people were put off by critics that underrated it because it didn't offer a lot of backstage hangouts with the cast. Meh. I think it was excellent the way it was. The songs were very well done, as they always are on the show, but with even more energy and enthusiasm. It really is impressive to realize how truly talented these kids are. That's what makes it so enjoyable to me. Not the silly relationships between the characters, but the characters themselves and the talents they share. And can you imagine what a trip this all must be for these kids?  They went from relative obscurity to rock-star status. From being part of a hit TV series, to now having a real concert tour around the world. All the while inspiring others. I danced in my seat. I laughed. And I was verklempt. All at the same time. It was wonderful!

Geez, who knew I had a Glee soap-box?  Actually, I guess it's just my Underdog soap-box. But I have one more thing to say about the movie:  Thank Glee I have much better songs looping in my head now!!!

I'm digging this random thought journaling much more than a gratitude journal.

Hell continues: High Temp Today = 107F; Heat Index = Inferno.  We complain because we are uncomfortable. And because the electric bills are so high.  But the big downer is that there are people in the state losing their livelihoods. Farms that are burned up, and ranchers having to just sell off herds because there is nothing to feed them. There are no politicians or big business to rant about for this. There's just helpless waiting. And a 7-day forecast looking just like today.

But to end on a good note... My favorite late night smells:  #1.  Earl Gray Tea. It smells like peace and calm in a teabag. How I lived without experiencing this for more than 40 years is just beyond me!  #2.  Wildflower Honey.  Oh, you lovely bee geniuses!  #1 + #2 = Om.

Fais do-do. Go to sleep.
Yes, cajun dances are known as fais do-do...because that's what they used to tell the children so that they could get on with dancing once the little ones were abed. Interesting, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment