Monday, September 5, 2011

September Morn...

It's here. September. Finally.

I know we're like 5 days into it already, but today is the first day it has felt like September. It's the last of my much-needed 4 days off from work, and I got up early anyway because I wanted to experience as much of it as I could. Weird? Maybe. But I figure I can enjoy a nap later.

It was still dark when I got up, and the temp was in the low 60's here. The A/C unit was finally relieved of duty (at least for a while), and I'm sure we could hear an audible groan of relief before it passed into a coma. I opened every window I could, grabbed my cup of coffee, and nestled into my favorite corner of the couch to let it come to me in the early morning silence.

The fresh, cool wind blowing through is like salvation for the soul. It is crisp and clear and fragrant with hope. The air moves over me, with a sensation that is never truly replicated with fans and air conditioners. It's a caress of nature, alive and changing and vibrant. I'm under-dressed for the new chill it carries, but I relish every moment of it. The 'burbs are oh-so-quiet this early on a holiday, and there is peacefulness that is so rare to find here. I can hear the wind moving through the plants and trees, softly rustling and then vigorously gusting, as if shaking off the dust and dread of the summer we've had. The wind chimes on the patio are tinkling in delight.

The bratty cats have even taken the morning off from wrestling and general brattiness to enjoy the change. They move from window to window, sitting on the sills and peering through the screens at the early morning world, longing to go out to explore. Soft little noses are twitching as they scent the flowing air, chuffing at sights and smells of things they want to hunt. They, too, seem to relish the feel of the moving air.

We can hear the odd random leaf skittering along the quiet street. Soon there will be more, as Fall edges in to overcome Summer.  It is undeniably my favorite time of year!

September is the initiation of change, the precursor of the delights of Autumn. You can almost sense the 'click' of the transition locking in. There is much to enjoy and anticipate in this early month:
  • The welcome changes in weather patterns
  • The return of the desire to cook (and eat!)
  • The beauty of changes in plants and trees
  • The enjoyment of outdoor activities
  • Festivals, markets, fairs, and football

It's time to enjoy this day and make the most of it. September, I salute you. Welcome back!

What does September mean to you???

2 comments:

  1. September means no rain in Seattle. Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won't let that change my desire to move to Seattle. :)

    ReplyDelete